Special ElectionThe Special Election for Ohio’s 12th Congressional District (to fill the vacancy resulting from the retirement of Rep. Pat Tiberi) will be held on Tuesday, August 7. Early voting starts July 10. Early voting hours are as follows:
Tuesday, July 10 to Friday, July 27 (Weekdays) 8:00am – 5:00pm
Monday, July 30 to Friday, August 3 8:00am – 7:00pm
Saturday, August 4 8:00am – 4:00pm
Sunday, August 5 1:00pm – 5:00pm
Monday, August 6 8:00am – 2:00pmFind your polling location Request a vote-by-mail ballot online
About the 12th DistrictThe 12th district, once made up primarily of Columbus and its northeastern suburbs, is the former Congressional district of Ohio Governor John Kasich. In 2011, the district map was redrawn to pick up part or all of 7 counties extending from Mansfield to Columbus, and west to Zanesville. In all, the district is made up of Morrow, Delaware and Licking, and portions of Richland, Marion, Franklin and Muskingum Counties. According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the 12th district is “wealthier, more highly educated and less diverse than Ohio as a whole” Demographic characteristics include:
- Median family income, $67,415 in the district vs. $52,334 for all of Ohio.
- Median home value, $204,900 vs. $140,100 for all of Ohio.
- Adults (age 25 and over) with a bachelor’s degree or above: 41 percent vs. 27.5 percent for all of Ohio
- Minority population: 14.7 percent vs. 20.6 percent for all of Ohio.
- Median age: 40,0 vs. 40.7 for all of Ohio.
Meet the Candidates
|Democrat: Danny O’Connor, 31 (website)||Republican: Troy Balderson, 57 (website)|