COLUMBUS — Today, Desiree Tims, President and CEO of Innovation Ohio, released the following statement commemorating Martin Luther King Jr. Day with a call to action for Ohioans:
“Today, as we commemorate Martin Luther King Jr. Day, it’s painful to know we are still fighting the same battles 50 years later.
“Some Republicans are using lies about Critical Race Theory to ban teachers from discussing ‘divisive concepts’ like racism, prejudice, and Dr. King’s teachings.
“Ohio’s Republican supermajority is trying to rig our district maps to drown out the votes of Black, brown, immigrant, and other diverse communities throughout our great state.
“On a national scale, politicians are quoting Dr. King on social media today, while refusing to pass a voting rights bill that would honor his legacy.
“Ohio Senator Rob Portman even marched in Selma with Congressman John Lewis in 2015, but now refuses to support Rep Lewis’ voting rights bill.
“Dr. King’s family has made clear that there can be ‘no celebration without legislation.’ Do not spend today reading MLK quotes posted by the followers of George Wallace’s ghost. Instead, take action to help us win this long standing battle.
- Email Ohio Senate President Matt Huffman and House Speaker Bob Cupp — demand constitutional district maps for Ohio.
- Email Governor DeWine— demand constitutional district maps for Ohio.
- Attend a virtual testimony training this week — learn how to testify for fair maps.
- Email your Ohio legislators — Tell them to say NO to bills that would ban honest, accurate education in our classrooms.
- Call Senator Rob Portman: 202-224-3353. Then tweet at him. Tell him to pass a voting rights bill now.
We shall overcome.”