This November, 194 school districts will be on the ballot around Ohio requesting renewed or additional sources of funding from taxpayers. The common theme among all these various districts is that each saw a reduction of funding in the state budget based (H.B. 153) passed last summer. In all, $1.8 billion was slashed from schools across the state, and the results are more requests for more money from taxpayers.
Read our October 10 press release comparing the number of levies appearing on ballots across the state this November to years past.
What’s on the ballot?
- List of 194 unique levies
- Historical levy statistics – past 5 years
- Chart: success rate of new vs renewal levies
- What’s on the ballot in your county?
District Levy Profiles
From now until the election, we will be profiling a school levy a day. Reviewing the stark choices facing school districts around illuminates many common themes: state cuts, paired with unfunded state mandates have necessitated teacher layoffs, elimination of elective courses, bus transportation, and in some extreme cases, a dramatic shortening of the school day. Our profiles will show that these issues are a statewide pattern, not limited to any one district in isolation.
- Failure for Half of New Money School Levies This Week February 8, 2013
- More ‘new money’ levies on tap tomorrow in Ohio local schools special elections February 4, 2013
- Fallout from Kasich Public Education Cuts Will Continue November 28, 2012
- IO November 2012 School Levy Project Wrap: Kasich cuts have shifted tax burden or put schools in dire situations November 26, 2012
- School Levy Profile: Akron Public Schools November 5, 2012
- School Levy Profile: Rocky River City Schools November 2, 2012
- School Levy Profile: Ashtabula Area City Schools November 1, 2012
- School Levy Profile: Perrysburg Exempted Village Schools October 25, 2012
- School levy profile: Shelby City Schools October 23, 2012
- School Levy Profile: Cleveland City Schools October 22, 2012
- Kasich cuts to local govs also spur levies this fall October 22, 2012
- School levy profile: Beavercreek City Schools October 17, 2012
- School Levy Profile: Massillon City Schools October 16, 2012
- School Levy Profile: Elida Schools October 15, 2012
- School Levy Profile: Licking Heights Schools October 12, 2012
- School Levy Profile: Chardon Schools October 11, 2012
- School Levy Profile: Grand Valley Local Schools October 10, 2012